I need to submit a warranty claim, how is this done?

Service and Warranty for USA and Canada: Power meter service/warranty for the United States and Canada is handled through the Quarq Service Center in Spearfish, South Dakota USA. 

If you need to send your power meter to the Quarq Service Center, please contact Quarq Customer Service by phone or email with the below information to set up and RMA. 

Email address:
Street Address:
City/State/Zip Code:
Reason for service/waranty: 
Power meter Ant ID: 

Customer Service will issue an RMA that you will receive via email. The RMA will contain our ship to address and shipping instructions. 

Please do not send your power meter to the service center without an RMA. Doing so will add 1-3 business days to the in-house service time.

Warranty for outside USA and Canada: If you live outside of the United States or Canada, you can still contact the Quarq headquarters directly for assistance, but all international Quarq warranty is handled through your local bike shop in conjunction with SRAM's world wide Service Centers. 

Service for outside USA and Canada: If you live outside the United States or Canada, and you wish to have one of Quarqs offered services performed on your power meter, please contact Quarq Customer Support for more information. 

For a full list of offered services, please see Services offered by Quarq.


Related Articles:
Warranty Policy
Services offered by Quarq

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.